Latest Forum PostsLast Forum Post RSS Feed
Who's Online
Server Status

Applications

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wardens of Azeroth Forum Index -> Current Roleplay Storylines
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Carmtan
Commander

re: Temper. Obey. Revenge.

Temper. Obey. Revenge. Is the story of Tor Lavafist and his Operation: Melting Point. Tor, unlike other Dark Iron Dwarf Renegades, gave up on laying siege to Khaz Modan when his clan fractured between Moira and Neltharion. 

Tor was loyal to Thaurissan not a Bronzebeard pale twerp that married into the true line of Dark Iron greatness. He was the son of a thane-like figure who commanded a portion of Dark Iron renegade forges. Tor is what they call a Steam Warrior, after losing his lower arm to a Bronzebeard Dwarf in an adventuring party he used his proficiency in engineering to create a replacement arm with a glowing lava-tempered iron fist fixed to the end. Tor took upon the last name of Lavafist. He adorns a scaled black and red cloak rumoured to be made of dragon scales. 

He wishes not to crush other empires, not yet, but to build the foundations of his own. He is prepared to do whatever it takes build them. 

Azeroth is but one small world in a vast universe, a realm filled with potent magics and mighty beings. Since the dawn of time, these forces have influenced Azeroth and the surrounding cosmos, setting the stars in motion and shaping the destiny of countless worlds and mortal civilizations. - Chronicle Volume 1: Cosmology
Carmtan
Commander

re: BTH 1

The most important thing I wanted to do with this story-line is to give everyone a sense of the enemy growing with you as the story goes on. There are stories that allow you to feel like there is a whole history you haven't delved into yet and unlocking that history will reveal your lead, your next way of progressing in the story-line which is awesome - but that won't be the case here. What i'd like you to have is that baseline knowledge, of which there isn't too much of, at the beginning and as you encounter the antagonists of this story that is where the greater process of information gathering will be, your information gathering will be from your encounters with these guys. 

I'd say this is very much anti-mystery, at-least in the genre specific sense. Sure there will be parts you deem mysterious, but that is not the main goal of the story. I am looking for this to be that action packed and for all the information you need to be gathered from your enemies as you face them. 

Dead or Alive will come after this too, so those plans are still ready but i'd rather it be a nice way to finish off the collection than having this explosive action packed story leading into... into...nothing! I don't like that so to ease you back out of this story there is another one waiting for you to experience. 

Consequence is probably the second most important thing and it helps bring about the first. When you enter the story these Dark Iron Renegades won't have many numbers, many resources, weapons or even holds. But as you pursue them you are going to be able to have an active role in stopping them gaining more numbers, stopping them from controlling areas rich in resource, stop the development and gaining of technologies and of course prevent them from taking potential holds. Or... Let them. Who knows. *waves hands*. 

That second point allows me to run a fun new style of event I have always wanted to run but lacked the story to have it fit in with. This is a control-style event where you make a rush for some particular ground - perhaps it is strategic or is higher ground to stop enemies overwhelming you and try to hold onto it without letting that control sway and give your enemies the upper hand. It means you don't only have to bash the skulls of your enemies in to emerge somewhat victorious but if your hold on this strategic area is well-executed you may force the enemy into different actions. Keep in mind however they will learn from their mistakes, their victories, your mistakes and your victories. Again, they are growing with you. 

Azeroth is but one small world in a vast universe, a realm filled with potent magics and mighty beings. Since the dawn of time, these forces have influenced Azeroth and the surrounding cosmos, setting the stars in motion and shaping the destiny of countless worlds and mortal civilizations. - Chronicle Volume 1: Cosmology
Carmtan
Commander

re: The Variety of the Dark Irons

One of the largest reasons for me choosing the Dark Irons as my story antagonists is the variety of the Dark Iron's ranks. Yes they have a noticeable hierarchy but the genuine variety in roles and classes they use and display are amazing. 

I went through Blackrock Depths and accounted for all of the different classes and roles the Dark Irons use, then I made their own separate profiles about how to best bring about their class fantasy to you all inside of RP. This is going to tie in very well with you all learning as you face our antagonists. You may spot certain ranks, roles or classes and have to adapt to the situation at hand from target acquisition to making use of weapons and tactics - this should all give us a versatile story. There are already 20+ different classes and roles!

I mentioned before that these guys will be small in numbers. I had toyed with the idea today that they could have one of every class/role from the beginning making every hit you make on the Dark Irons count even more than I had planned. I haven't gone for this for several reasons, among those is that it would be unnatural for Tor to stop recruiting after getting a certain number, and it would be highly coincidental that only one of every class/role joined the cause. The most influential reason for me however was I want this story to grow with you, as stated before, as they and you progress through the story new classes/roles will be recruited or you may even foil their plans to recruit a new type of Dark Iron. 

They will still start with a small-ish and named pool of followers with specific roles in the operation. You can just look forward to your events having a bit more meaning to whether you succeed and certain things you do/allow to happen during them. You can stop them getting certain technologies, numbers, weapons, resources and types of classes. Strong emphasis on can. You will likely fail image

Carmtan
Commander

re: Prologue - Exile.

"You stand before the High Justice for plotting against us, your own kind. What do you have to say for your actions?" The booming voice of the Judge echoed throughout the ring. 

Tor looked to his Father, beaten and bruised in the centre of the ring from above. The chains around his wrist ached, all he could do was watch as his Father spat on the floor. "You've got this all wrong, High Justice.. " He spluttered.

"Hm, have we? We gave you a substantial role here, Grengar. You commanded some of our most prized forges. So how was it these came into your possession?" The High Justice held up blackened parchments. "Plans, attempts to foil our partnerships with the flames and earth. You are no Dark Iron, you are as scum as those who left us with the Princess. You are to be put to death, you and your other conspirators." More beaten, some gagged and bruised Dwarves in rags were thrown forward into the Ring with mighty thuds and groans. 

"High Justice, what of the son?" One of the senator's called out. "What is to be his fate?" 

The Judge looked to Tor in his chains, looking down at the Ring. "What fate should we deliver to the man who handed his Father and his conspirators into us? He betrayed family, he was put into chains quietly and has not protested to our treatment of him. Those for the Ring." The Judge looked at his Senator's who raised their hands, just under half. "Very well." He said. "But he will not set foot inside this mountain again. Tor, you are to be exiled. Immediately." The Judge waved his hand towards Tor, he was dragged away by the Armsman. 

Just before the doorway of the Ring disappeared from Tor's view he believed he heard the sound of grinding gates and the cheers from the Ring's spectators. 

Carmtan
Commander

re: Making it Personal from DM to Attendee.

We all have our ways of making it personal as dungeon masters, event planners and as RPers in general. We have tried different methods over our 7 years active from being more D&D-esque to moving away from numerical systems all together. 

A few years ago a guild member asked if I had any plans to make my events more D&D based and I was quick to say that I didn't have any plans to do so. He offered a D&D system that may fit into our RP but in the end as it was too numerical while I respected the idea - the system would be tough to implement. Having now ran D&D, participated in D&D and running a D&D Campaign of Temper. Obey. Revenge. for a group outside the game I feel there is a little more I can do as a DM to make it more personal for the attendees. Worry not Gerrond it's not numerical, I am with you on disliking that. 

This is not a revolutionary idea. Many have done similar in the past and most if not all DMs I have encountered play a part on it to a degree but for myself I know while I act upon it at times it's not always obvious to the attendees. Making it personal for me at least means not making this particular component behind the scenes, instead I want to start sharing the thought behind roll modifiers a little more (at first) with attendees. 

So four small questions for people, and don't feel you have to answer these - because thats the beauty of this. If you like things as they are, then you can carry on with no consequence. However if you crave or ache for a little bit more, if you wish to humour my mad rantings - press on my humour filled, fellow mad RPers! Let us delve further into making our rolls personal and have you feel like your rolls mean more to you and you alone. 

Lets start of with singular answers for now, we can expand if it works.

1. What do you feel your character is particularly good at from a physical/combat point of view? 

e.g. Carmtan excels at keeping people energised in combat.

e.g. Drake is particularly strong. 

2. What do you feel your character is not so good at from a physical/combat point of view?

e.g. Carmtan isn't the strongest of characters. 

e.g. Drake doesn't excel at defending himself. 

3. What do you feel your character is particularly good at from a skill, knowledge or even magical point of view?

e.g. Carmtan is good at healing. 

e.g. Drake is good at sea based activities. 

4. What do you feel your character is not so good at from a skill, knowledge or even magical point of view?

e.g. Carmtan isn't the best at being sneaky/stealthy. 

e.g. Drake isn't the most observant of characters. 

Try think of some yourselves and let me know <3.

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wardens of Azeroth Forum Index -> Current Roleplay Storylines All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Guild IC Notice Board