Latest Forum PostsLast Forum Post RSS Feed
Who's Online
Server Status

Applications

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wardens of Azeroth Forum Index -> The Xarian Campaign
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Karinia DuLey
Unused

re: The Fall of Grilanan

Part 1

'I am not getting anything Elder,' Vacum said, shaking the device again. As if to get the Elder's attention again, he shook it again, this time harder. As he kicked the table leg in frustration, the Elder appeared behind him.

'If you cannot reach Captain Malem, we must assume he and his survivors are dead,' the Elder replied, his calming hand on Vacum's shoulder. Vacum turned round, expecting to see the Elder's reassuring expression looking at him, but instead the face was only covered with fear and doubt. 'We must assume none of us will make it. We should make plans to leave.'

'I could have told you that,' Tindo snarked, gripping his sword even tighter.

'Vacum, go to the portal device, you need to get it working. It is the only way we are going to make it out of here alive. Tindo, you and I need to compile everything we have learnt about these beasts. Even if we do not make it, perhaps what we learnt facing these fiends will.'

'You really think someone somewhere can stop them? All of Grilanan couldn't stop them, what hope is there?,' Taira asked, her arms shaking.

'I believe someone can defeat them. And that is why I need you Taira, and your troops, to reinforce the front gate. They will be coming here and you need to buy us all time you can. Vacum, the portal,' the Elder said. Vacum frantically climbed out of the chair and ran out the door behind, leaving it ajar.

'And what information do we even have?' Tindo remarked.

'If you do not believe Tindo,' the Elder said, sitting down in Vacum's seat and pulling up a parchment, 'then perhaps you are your team should cover the inner doorways here.' The Elder motioned at the other half of the soldiers around and then began to write on the parchment.

'It is hard to have faith in you Elder,' Tindo grunted.

'I have faith in you,' Taira proudly stated as she and half a dozen soldiers stood by the main doorway of the chambers. 'Together we will get-'

There was an almighty crash and the masonery around them shook. The Elder grabbed the table as the ink flew off, frantically writing more on the parchment as Tindo ran over to the window.

'The big one is at the gate, they are going to break through!' he exclaimed.

'I am on it!' Taira declared as she pulled the main door open, 'We will buy you the time-'

A howl of cold air blew in from the doorway, sending a shiver down everyone's spine. The Elder climbed up from the chair, clutching his parchment closely.

'She- She is here...' Taira muttered nervously, as everyone clutched their weapons as tight as they could.

Part 2

'We will have to use their portal device. We are lost,' the Elder said defeatedly.

'Run!' Taira shouted. He did not need any more encouragement, Tindo ran in the opposite direction, just behind the Elder. He could hear the frantic running of his forces behind him. he heard Taira yell for a charge but there was nothing after.

As he reached the end of the corridor he turned back to see how Taira was faring. It took only a second to regret the decision he had made as some of his soldiers pushed past him.

Taira and all of her forces were completely frozen. He peered closer, unable to tear his eyes away from the devasation in front of him. The ice was already cracking and he could see the frost washing across the floor, shattered the stone as it came towards him. They never even got an attack before that foul witch had killed them.

He tore his eyes away and focused on the killing machine instead. The red skin, the green eyes. The demon looked at him and he ran. He could still hear the ice behind him as he barged his companions out of the way. He had to get out of here.

As he turned the corner he caught sight of the door in front of him. The door to salvation, the demon's portal device they had stolen. As he grinned to himself he lost focus and someone knocked him to one side in the chaos. As he found his feet he felt the cold chill under him.

He tried to run but his foot slipped and he fell forward, soldier's running past him.

'Shut the door!' he heard the Elder yell.

'No wait!' he screamed, as the doors began to close in front of him. He clambered back to his feet and heard a sound behind him. He turned and saw the demon again. From her back, wings flew out, emblazoned with fel fire. He swore to himself as he succumbed.

'Seal the door, we have to hold her!' the Elder shouted, 'Vacum, get the portal open!'

'I don't know if it is right, where are we even going? For all I know this could-'

'Get us anywhere-' the Elder continued before being cut off by an explosion at the doorway. The soldier's screams echoed louder than the fel fire, as bodies soared across the room. He gulped as the demon stepped inside.

Vacum ducked his head and pulled down the last lever in front of him. He smiled to himself as a green portal appeared in front of him, flickering. He stood up in defiance, only to have a strike of fel lighting erupt through his chest, demolishing his heart and lungs before it struck the device, the portal staggering.

The Elder sprinted over and hurled his papers through the closing portal. As they left his hand, he could feel the chill cover his body. Never-the-less, the notes flew through the air and reached the portal as the device began to combust. He smiled to himself.

'You may have taken Grilanan, but there hundreds more worlds out there. Now one of them knows all about you, and the Legion you serve. You cannot take them all,' the Elder declared defiantly as the demon walked in front of his face, his features slowly begining to freeze over.

'I understand your resistance, but now you can die in the knowledge that Grilanan's fall...has helped save everything,' she calmly replied, stroking his face as his heart froze and his features succumbed.

Part 3

She sat melancholy, staring at the remains of the portal device. One hand rubbed her chin as she leaned on her leg, while the other stroked her ear tendrils. This had never happened to her before, not for thousands of years. To have one of the Legion devices stolen - the constant casualties with no sign of reinforcement of recovery was slowly hurting her forces. She wondered how many more worlds would fall to her before the loses became too much and finally she was defeated.

She let go of her tendril as she heard two enter the room. The heavy feet of the Fel Lord Harken were the first, so obvious she did not need to look up. After were two more hooves, undoubtably from her oldest friend, Valis.

'I thought you might leave at least one for me,' Harken snarked in his deep voice, 'Those at the gates were nothing.' She chose to ignore him, still staring at the ruined device.

'What is wrong General?' Valis said more calmly, sliding over to sit beside her, 'They destroyed the device? I can repair-'

'I destroyed it. They managed to send something through. I do not know what, I do not know where to, but I wish to. I dislike having potential foes know about who were are,' she softly interrupted, standing up slowly and spreading her wings.

'I will work out where they aligned to then,' Valis nodded, moving into Xaria's position before opening up the device's controls.

'While you are there, be sure to inform General Zamzalor that we have conquered Grilanan and it is ready for destruction, whenever he finds the time to claim all of his glory,' Xaria added, only the slightest hint of spite on her tongue.

'I hope he sends us somewhere good next time,' Harken said, joining Xaria who had wandered over to the room's window.

'Somewhere like Azeroth?' Xaria said quietly.

'Exactly, these planets are fine, don't get me wrong, I love a good slaughter but they don't know the Legion, their technology is primitive and there is no challenge.'

'And that is why I do not want to go to Azeroth.'

'That could be seen as cowardice General,' Harken noted, 'If I did not know you better.'

'But you do. The Legion has wanted that planet since it's discovery. I prefer my targets to be possible to conquer. Azeroth for us would be suicide. I like what we do at the moment. With our numbers, it is the best we can accomplish.'

'I know, a worthy foe would not go amiss.'

'Until we are beaten, you will never find a worthy foe. If I have to decide between keeping us together and in victory, or you having a good fight, I would choose the former,' Xaira replied, for the first time looking at him, 'Which would you pick?'

'The same as you, always my General,' he replied, nodding slightly.

'For the record,' Valis noted as she continued to work, 'I do not wish to visit Azeroth either. You know what the bulk of the Legion thinks of us. It is just a world, same as the others. I fail to see it's value outside the others. These worlds are much better.'

'Not that it matters that much, Zamzalor will send us wherever he feels like,' Harken grunted.

'And we will go wherever is wished of us. In the end, all worlds need cleansing,' Xaria calmly said, turning back to the wasteland that was now Grilanan.

'Well,' Valis sighed, standing up from the damaged engineering, 'you may get your wish Harken. I traced the portal's exit. Just above a sea of water.'

'You are certain?' Xaria asked, turning to look at her friend.

'No doubt about it. Whatever they sent through that portal, is on Azeroth now.'

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: