Latest Forum PostsLast Forum Post RSS Feed
Who's Online
Server Status

Applications

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wardens of Azeroth Forum Index -> Current Roleplay Storylines
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Karinia DuLey
Unused

re: Kari's Collection

Starting next week I will beginning a new series of roleplay events, a bit of a different style than I have done before. Rather than be a storyline, each event will be more in depth and self contained. A few events will deal with an overunning storyline, however over half will simply be 'monster of the week', events you need no prior knowledge for and can witness everything.

Over a year ago Carm did the same thing with spotlight stories. Like his, I aim to have different environments and storylines to suit different types of wardens, some for magi, warriors, fellows, whatever. I will also take the time to try some new things and would appreciate feedback on the changes to the typical event format.

These events won't be every week, I intend to plan them out well, with multiple ways to solve the problem presented to you. The other aim to be immersive. Dangerous situations should feel life-threatening, spooky situations worrying.

Things I intend to try:

-Reduced music, more ambience and sound effects

When Mashira requested more bots for music, it got me thinking about changing up how we use sounds. Foley artistry has always interested me, and a greater focus on what your characters hear rather than music for you as the player should get you more invested.

-Reduced deathmatch-based combat, more focus on objectives

For those unaware, deathmatch is the concept that the aim of combat is to kill the opposing side. For most events, this is the case. What this results in however is the sense that player characters cannot fail. Because we cannot die, the enemy must always die and the objective (to kill the enemy) will always be a success.

To add more variety, not all combat will be about killing. Stalling an enemy will be more important, while another task (for arguement's sake, capturing a flag, a base, a resource etc) is the main objective. This means the Wardens can fail, not by dying, but by failing to secure something.

-Shorter combat

Combat consumes a large amount of RP time. For a while, I've also felt combat is not dangerous enough, or gritty enough. So I plan on giving negatives to defense rolls, unless specifically chosing to forgo attacks in favour of defending. Will weaker defences for both allies and enemies, combat is shorter and you have to be smarter when deciding whether you even need to attack or whether to defend instead.

-Diplomacy in combat

One of the reasons I moved away from combat in events was to making talkng more viable. Now I wish to take that a step further and have combat return but have talking fill it's niche. Because most combat will be objective focused, during your 'attacking' turns, you can forgo an action in favour of trying to talk the enemy down, distract them or whatever. This isn't roll-based, your success-rate is what you say.

The benefits of this are that while you may spend your combat turn not fighting, so might the enemy in chosing to talk back to you. This let's you stall turn(s) while other Wardens can focus on the objective. Bear in my, enemies are not stupid. If they are being attacked and you try talking, they won't talk back. Maybe.

Just a reminder feedback is important for some of these new ideas. Also, while I intend to gradually finish the du'Ley Arc over these events, most will be single-piece stories. I would like to know which of these stories you enjoyed the most and why, potentially leading back to a more traditional storyline (with any successful additions) based on events you enjoyed the most.

Karinia DuLey
Unused

Un'goro. Forgotten by time. The wildest place in Kalimdor. Only explorers are foolhardy enough to enter. There is plenty to study. There is a plethora of beauty.

A group of explorers were busy in Un'goro when something mighty crashed into Silithus. The region has never been the same since. The ground rumbles. The heat increases. What was once a battle at the central point of Un'goro has turned into a war. The elementals threaten to storm across all of Un'goro if one ever manages to beat the other.

An explorer leaves the camp to find out exactly what is happening at the grand volcano. He has not been seen from since. Only two figures can be seen around the volcano.

An earth elemental.

A fire elemental.

And when they clash. Un'goro turns from a place of beauty to a place of danger.

Can the Wardens find the missing explorer without succumbing to the flames? Or turning Un'goro into a wasteland?

Karinia DuLey
Unused

Three weeks ago.

Captain Spearwind looked over the vessel. The various sailors they had gathered from the Cenarion Circle and it's allies in Desolace looked nervous. He could hardly blame them. As his eyes moved from the ship to the land his mind also wandered towards fear.

The huge sword, even from this far, stood out like a blight upon nature. They couldn't see what had happened in Silithus from the stormy ocean to it's west, but they had an idea. That was the mission afterall. A group of druids on the outskirts of Silithus had survived the impact. Having escaped to Uldum, it was his job, and the job of his crew, to rescue them.

'The winds haven't been the same since that thing came down,' his navigator said, noticing his worry.

'I doubt anything will be now. For now, we just need to get to Uldum before more Alliance and Horde forces roll in. Something is brewing and we ought to be out of here before it does.'

A yell came from further down the deck. Leaving his navigator at the wheel, he rushed down to the commotion. A number of sailors were around the port side, lifting something up from the water.

'It's an orc,' one them said, as the group parted open to allow Spearwind a view on the soaking corpse. 'What's he wearing? What killed him?' the commotion continued.

A blast of air hit the side of the ship and almost everyone lost their balance. Spearwind, having retained his footing turned towards Silithus.

'Elune. Save us.'

Karinia DuLey
Unused

"So...what happened...to the big bad arcane creature...mummy?" the young elf muttered as he pulled the quilt tighter up around him.

"Following the Queen's Highborne's, Xalex, instructions, the three magi managed to seal it away within the remains of the temple. The spell was so strong, that even in death, their spirits would keep it bound forever," she finished, leaning over to kiss her child goodnight.

He smiled at her as she patted him on the head went to leave, waving her hand to extinguish the purple light that filled the room with a gentle glow.

"I wish you wouldn't tell him that story," her husband said as she closed the door slowly behind her.

"Why not? It is a good little faerie-tale."

"It isn't a faerie-tale, it is real. But that is not why it concerns me," he replied.

"What is wrong with it then?" she asked.

"All these childish versions, with the three heroic magi. The truth is Xalex did not chose them for their might or courage. He chose them for a different reason."

"Which was?" she shuddered, pulling closer to him and stroking his arm.

"Because he considered them emotional weak, unfit to perform magi, unfit for his ideal fantasy. The three sealing Arcareth are not heroes. They are broken. And eventually, they will break. And so will the seal."

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wardens of Azeroth Forum Index -> Current Roleplay Storylines All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Guild IC Notice Board