Latest Forum PostsLast Forum Post RSS Feed
Who's Online
Server Status

Applications

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wardens of Azeroth Forum Index -> The Venture Co. Community (Public)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mashira
Ambassador

re: Wardens' Colours

Hello Wardens! Here's something I have wanted to write up for a long long time. Many moons ago, I was considering adding an extension to Karinia's 'Wardens as Hearthstone Cards', making some Wardens as Magic: The Gathering cards, and explaining how that would work. However, since that would be rather complex as MTG has many different rules and colours of mana, I thought instead I would talk about that.

The philosophy of MTG, and which colour or combination of colours Wardens would fall into.

I'll write out a detailed description of each colour below, a TL:DR segment, and then a part on combined colours. So, let's get going!

Edit: While explaining this, I realised I had a lot to say. It may be best to read about the separate colours first and then getting a good idea of which combinations match your characters, and then just reading about those. 

Mono-Coloured

Each colour has it's strengths, weaknesses, two allied colours beside it on the colour pie and two enemy colours opposite it.

White is the colour of organisation, where the self and individuality is sacrificed for quantity. It is about brandishing a flag, and being with that flag and no one else. So long as everyone stays in line, all is good. Yet, this personality of White goes strong - it does not care about individuality at all, so long as the battle is won, it does not matter what individual lives were lost. Usually, White centres around an organisation, be it a nation or a religion, and is happy so long as its ideals win the day - being so sure that it is morally correct that it will go to any length to pursue victory.

Blue is knowledge, complete and total. It wants to learn anything and everything, and it will go to any length to sate its inquisitive nature. Morals mean very little to Blue - what does matter is correct judgement and the underlying logic behind that. It loves to be in control, and knows how people should live their life - how to build cities, raise generations and invent the best. If you don't fit into its grand plan, it will stop you and make you understand. Yet, these plans don't come to it quickly. Blue takes time to choose, methodical and precise, and sometimes is so inactive that the situation changes again, and it has to start over. And yet, when Blue gets everything together, nothing will get in its way. 

Black is pragmatic and ambitious. It knows what power can do, where to get it, and how important having it is. Political connections, fear, money - whatever it needs to gain control, it will do it. Black is for the self, completely. It sees that there's no reason it can't have everything since it puts itself above everything else. Black does not need to change the world. It accepts the world and all the selfish, needy people within it, and uses them to get what it wants. Everything. It will sacrifice everything to get power, others, the land, and even its own life. Even if it is bloody and half-dead, so long as it has power, it has won.

Red is emotion. Every emotion brought to the forefront and released. Freedom, individuality and expression are core values that Red needs to survive, even if all the different ideals and wishes cause a little chaos with their lack of harmony. Red wants power, just like Black, but will never sacrifice these needs to do so, and will only take that which it needs to let itself be expressed. Red is also a very human colour. It cares about family, friends, lovers, and will fight for them whenever it needs to. Yet this instant gratification that it longs for does not let it see the bigger picture. Sure, it can punch someone because it wants to, but it won't truly realise what that punch may cause in the long game.

Green is Nature. Everyone and everything can find its place within what is already in the world, either as prey or predator. While White believes in organisation and the strength of the whole, Green believes in community and interdependence. It knows that with allies and friends that you can grow and learn together. Everyone and everything should keep growing, to be as powerful as it can be. Green is the most powerful colour. It contains all the primal powers of nature. And yet it is passive. Green believes that the world was all in order in the beginning, and it does not have the right to end life. Buildings and undead? Yes, they are unnatural, and all the fury of its power will destroy them. Yet that its also its weakness. Green is expecting to win so long as it's bigger and tougher, and tricks and clever tactics will be totally unexpected.

To put it shortly:

- White is following orders, having something to stick to and follow to better the lives of those around you, at the cost of individuality.

- Blue is desire for knowledge and the comprehension of all, wanting and having to learn everything there is to know.

- Black is taking advantage of the world around them to get power, in any way it can, for any cost.

- Red is expression, freedom, and the soul of a personality. It will do whatever it wants, when it wants, just because.

- Green is the desire to leave everything to nature's will. Nature does not to be interfered with.

Last edited by Mashira on Wed Feb 21, 2018 20:54; edited 3 times in total
Mashira
Ambassador

Dual-Coloured

Colour pairings are either pairs of ally or enemy colours.

Allied Colours:

When two colours are allied, they strengthen their combined traits while loosing all traits of their mutual enemy colour.

- White-Blue is the colour combination of law. Logic now governs the whole, and all individuality is lost in this quest for a perfect way of life.

- Blue-Black is calculating, sneaking, and scheming for power, at the lack of any trust for groups or partnerships due to distancing itself from Green.

- Black-Red is thrill-seeking revelry, throwing all security and safety out the window, only caring for the joys that life can bring.

- Red-Green is brutality, strength, and having all the ways to show it off, but being unable to plan or have the foresight for problems that may arise. There is no plan B.

- Green-White is the best at withstanding temptation, and working to their group's goal, having to put innovating and radical ideas on the back-burner to do so.

Enemy Colours:

When two colours are enemies, they have to work with what divides them and show disdain for what links their two enemy colours together.

- White-Black is no longer focused on the self or a whole, but a subgroup, which are taking power at the expense of others. All this is held on a rather shaky trust, as it lacks the emotion and honesty of Red and Green.

- Blue-Red is the best at solving problems... so long as it can stayed focused for long enough.

- Black-Green is controls both life and death, never stopping, spreading like fungus spores or a plague. And yet, just like a plague, it is impossible to predict, control, and mastermind.

- Red-White is focused on one problem, as a team of individuals, but lacks secrecy, due to their disdain to keeping secrets between each other, and between the world and themselves.

- Green-Blue is focused on letting everything flourish, to the best of its potential, even if it's pushing nature a little too far, and doesn't want to stop - the others just don't understand and it doesn't have time to explain.

Last edited by Mashira on Wed Feb 21, 2018 21:50; edited 1 time in total
Mashira
Ambassador

Tri-Colours

Shards:

Shards have a centre colour, which has to maintain the peace between it's two ally's differences. These are usually defined by what they lack in their two missing colours.

- White-Blue-Black grasps for perfection in society, with true thought and knowledge, and power to utilise it. Yet it is not harmonious, and usually does not care for ethics or for the individuals it deems stupid or unimportant, and distance themselves from those they see as lesser.

- Blue-Black-Red keeps its priorities straight. On itself. Nothing else matters. It has no care for the weak. They are truly expendable and barely need a second thought. Yet it underestimates the powers of the meek.

- Black-Red-Green is powerful. Each of these colours is monstrous, and without White's order or Blue's logic, it is chaotic. It also has similarities to Blue-Black-Green.

- Red-Green-White believes it is a small piece of a larger world, which is already perfect. It is content to live within it and protect it, accepting all that is in it, so long as it does not alter it.

- Green-White-Blue is the colour combination of society, hoping to establish law and security for all in a logical fashion. Yet everyone has to work towards this. There is no room for individuality here, no room for people to pursue their own lives.

Wedges:

These have two allied colours and their mutual enemy. They are defined by why these two colours allow their enemy colour to work with them.

- White-Black-Red desires victory above all else. While Green and Blue are OK with being idle (for different reasons), these three colours must always get first place, no matter the cost. Yet they never stop to relax, always charging forwards for greatness.

- Blue-Red-Green also strives for victory, but they plan more. While you might seem like a dumb brute or a savage to begin with, people will come to realise your desire to learn, plan, and exhaust all possibilities until you succeed. Even if the first choice was to try smashing something.

- Black-Green-White is about resilience. You can survive anything so long as you are willing to use any form of magic to do so. Maybe there was an easier, or kinder way to get it done, but who cares. You did it. The pragmatism of Black allows the communities of Green-White to understand that sometimes they have to put their community ahead of others to survive.

- Red-White-Blue understands that its enemies are just as intelligent as itself, and will always plan, and counterplan. It has the desire and emotion drive to do anything to protect the society, and yet it understands that each of it's members must be intelligent enough to fight alone, and will allow others to join it's order if they follow it's rules and truly wish to better themselves. However, they are slightly idealistic, and sometimes can be taken advantage of due to their peaceful and accepting nature.

- Green-Blue-Black is similar to Black-Red-Green. They are both completely after power, and will do whatever it takes to achieve it. Yet, with this replacement of Red with Blue means it is no longer chaotic. It is logical, using all of the land's, mind's and their own power to achieve and maintain even more power. Yet they lack the ability to build sustainable communities. Those at the bottom are expendable, dying off like flies. Those at the top get killed and replaced constantly, as there is no honour due to the lack of Red or White.

Mashira
Ambassador

4 and 5 Colours:

4-Colour combinations are defined by the aspects they lack.

Most likely, someone has 4 colours if they had 5, and lost one due to a moral or emotional shift, or had 3 and dipped into another. A good example is the ogre Yidris, below, who was Blue-Black-Red, but was then forcefully thrown into a conflux of natural energy, having Green mana surge through him also.

- Blue-Black-Red-Green is the embodiment of pure anarchy. Nothing is safe, nothing is sacred. There is no space for organisations to remain in place. While there may be some semblance of control, the powers combined without White's ability to detain and control is simply too wild.

- White-Black-Red-Green seizes the day, without ever looking back. It moves forwards to achieve whatever it wants, jumping at the first chance to do it and bringing whoever they can rally under the cause. Without Blue's foresight, it may find itself fall into traps, but it also will never be halted. Never stopping, never passive.

- White-Blue-Red-Green is selfless, always willing to protect the innocent and rallying others under it's banner to do so. Bound by a strong moral code, it will do everything it can to better the lives of others. However, there are many things that it is not willing to do, and without Black, this combination is stuck in an idealistic view, usually outmanoeuvred by those willing to dip into the darker forces of the universe.

- White-Black-Blue-Green seeks perfection of nature within its society. It will warp anything until it reaches this vision of perfection, and rally beings that fit its vision to its cause. It is versatile, intelligent, and yet has little to no humanity to it. Without Red it can think without chaotic tendencies, but looses it's gut-instinct and connection with the individual. 

- White-Black-Blue-Red knows how the world could be. If they reshape it. Neither necessarily evil nor good, they want to re-define the world to allow everyone there to live in peace. However, lacking Green, they something forget that nature is both a part of the world, and of it's strength, which they are unable to match head-on. 

5 Colour:

When something has all 5 colours of mana, it may as well have none, when it comes to morals, abilities, and philosophies. When you come from all forms of mana, you are directly at the centre of emotions, philosophies and mentalities, having no real problem or allegiance with anything. In MTG, only 6 mortal, named characters (to my knowledge) have used 4 or more types of mana, and to use 5 colours puts you in the realm of being an Avatar or Deity.

Bonus Round - Colourless:

Usually, when something is Colourless in MTG, it is an item - something without any will or mentality of it's own. Maybe a robot, or a suit of armour. And then we have these.

Mindless thralls - drones, driven only by hunger, called Eldrazi. While they definitely have bodies, and minds, they lack any form of philosophy, simply existing to do what they are told by other Eldrazi. Similar to if you have all the colours, lacking them entirely causes you to be emotionless - drone like. Ghosts, undead thralls, and similar beings can fall into this category. Maybe Steyen too (Sorry (not sorry)).

I hope this was helpful! What colours do you think your characters connect to the most?

Last edited by Mashira on Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:06; edited 8 times in total
Mashira
Ambassador

Now I've finally written all that up...

Mashira is definitely White-Red-Blue, primarily White-Red due to his life in the Gilneas Brigade.

Gavin is Blue-Red-Green, centring on Green, with his Worgen and Feral side going more towards Red, and his Human side more towards Blue.

Haku is Blue-Red, through and through.

Soren is definitely White-Red. 

And finally, I think Sike would be Blue-Black. He was probably just Blue to begin with, but nowadays, due to Kora'thil corrupting him with Saronite, he's become more pragmatic.

"Okay, rally caps. Personal life? Not strong. But I did beat up a HYDRA tentacle-monster-robot-thingie. So I got that going for me. Maybe I am getting the hang of this super-hero stuff. Sure my powers are a bit off, and I got into a fight in a sewer, but I'm totally--

It's right behind me, isn't it?" - Silk Volume 0
Karinia DuLey
Unused

Took me a bit of time to find the right one, wasn't sure if a 4-somesome was really appropriate. In the end though, like Gavin, I think Karinia is Blue-Red-Green, at least for now. Will be interesting to see whether she progresses away from red a bit more.

Mashira
Ambassador

True. One thing that is interesting to think about is how characters move around the alignments.

Good read! My friend has always spoken fondly of MTG, so I was pretty hyped to find this post. I like how all the different combinations have been so thoughtfully combined these core philosophies, so to speak. 

I reckon Isadore would've been a Green-White-Blue "back in the day", but has gradually leaned more towards a more practical Green-Blue. 

Isadore Keaton
Unused

Anonymous wrote:

Good read! My friend has always spoken fondly of MTG, so I was pretty hyped to find this post. I like how all the different combinations have been so thoughtfully combined these core philosophies, so to speak. 

I reckon Isadore would've been a Green-White-Blue "back in the day", but has gradually leaned more towards a more practical Green-Blue. 

When you guest post a typo, so you cant correct it. You get what I meant though.

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wardens of Azeroth Forum Index -> The Venture Co. Community (Public) All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Guild IC Notice Board